How Do I Replace The Battery In My Jeep
A confident do-it-your-selfer can replace a vehicle battery. Start by checking your vehicle owners manual for the batterys proper size and location. Find the positive and negative posts. The positive post will have a red plastic cover over it. Look for a + sign stamped onto the battery or printed on a nearby label. Loosen the negative terminal bolt and remove the cable. Be sure not to touch the positive post. Once you loosen the bolt, use a terminal puller to remove the cable. Repeat the sequence with the positive post.
Now remove the clamp or retaining system that keeps the battery in place. Carefully lift out the old battery. Look for any corrosion on the cables and remove it with a wire brush or terminal cleaning tool.
Drop in the new battery so that the positive post lines up with the red cable. Secure it with the battery retaining clamp that you removed earlier. If the battery has anti-corrosion washers, put them in place now and use a thin layer of anti-corrosion grease to prevent buildup. Tighten the positive cable and then do it all over again with the negative black cable.
Make sure the battery is secure and congratulations: youve replaced your cars battery!
Commonly Asked Patriot Battery Questions
Get answers to common car battery questions, from Firestone Complete Auto Care. If you have a Patriot-specific battery question, stop by your nearest store. Our technicians are happy to help.
- Why wonât my Patriot battery hold a charge? A battery is in its final hour when it will no longer hold a charge. It may be getting old. Or, you may have been leaving your car doors ajar and the lights on overnight. Stop by for a free battery test at your local Firestone Complete Auto Care and learn more about your battery’s charge.
- What do you do with my old Patriot battery? We recycle it! Nearly 100% of all lead-acid batteries are recyclable.
- Whatâs the cost of DieHard batteries for Jeep Patriots? You can find affordable Patriot batteries by using one of our car battery coupons, when available. Plus, every DieHard battery comes with extra coverage thanks to DieHard Assurance and a free replacement warranty.
Emergency Lighting And Security Batteries
Keep your home and business ready for the unexpected with quality and security batteries from Batteries Plus. Shop our selection of brand-specific emergency lighting batteries made for fixtures from ADT, Honeywell, Yorkville, and more, and browse security batteries for alarm control systems by ADT, General Electric, and Emergi-Lite.
Need data & equipment protection at home or at work? Shop Batteries Plus to find batteries for an uninterruptible power supply that keeps your home powered even when the grid goes down. can also help safeguard essential electronics, like computers, from damage and data loss at home and in the workplace. Make sure you’ve got batteries that will keep your UPS system operational around the clock.
You May Like: Us Patriot Tactical Oak Grove Ky
Car Boat And Rv Batteries
Use our to quickly search by brand and model to get the battery you need for a quick and easy purchase. We also offer powerful motorcycle batteries for bikes by BMW, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Indian, Triumph and more.
Make the most of your time on the water with a durable boat or jet ski battery. Find lead-acid batteries in deep cycle, dual purpose, and starting varieties for work and play. Enjoy your travel and leisure time with batteries for , , , and workhorse machines like , for both residential and commercial use.
When Replacing The Battery Keep In Mind:
- The quality of the electrical connections to the battery posts is important. Connections must be clean, free of corrosion and properly tightened.
- Batteries store a large amount of energy and if short-circuited a battery could explode and can create intense discharges that can damage your eyesight. Insulated tools should be used to attach cabling to battery terminals. Otherwise, the batterys positive cable can be shorted to ground or the positive and negative posts can be directly shorted. Batteries can only be safely installed from a positive terminal to positive wiring and from a negative terminal to body ground. If the polarity is reversed damage will likely occur to the vehicles electrical system.
- Generally, a car battery will have a service life of 4 to 7 years. If a load test on a battery reveals a significant reduction in the capacity of the battery to provide power, you should buy a new battery rather than wait for the old battery to fail completely.
- Batteries should only be disconnected if the engine is off and the alternator is not running. Disconnecting a car battery while the alternator is running can cause a voltage spike that will damage sensitive electronic components in the vehicle, such as the PCM.
Fast and easy service at your home or office
Backed by 12-month, 12.000-mile guarantee
Recommended Reading: 2010 Jeep Patriot Intake Manifold
What Are The Symptoms Related To A Bad Battery
The battery is considered dead when there isn’t enough charge to start the engine or run electrical components.
Normally, the first sign is dim lighting in the interior of the vehicle, and when you try to start it, the engine may crank slowly, or not at all. A very rapid clicking noise is normally heard if there is any charge left in the battery, but in many cases the vehicle will be completely unresponsive.
If the battery is losing charge while driving the vehicle, the battery warning light will illuminate, and the engine may stall.
When To Replace A Car Battery
- Your car doesnt start. A new battery has a specified capacity to provide power. This capacity is referred to as the cranking amps rating of the battery. As a battery ages, the actual amps that a battery can supply becomes lower than its original rating Once the cranking amps fall below a critical threshold, it will be difficult or impossible to start your car.
- Battery or charging system warning light is illuminated. Should a battery or charging system warning light illuminate, a mechanic should perform a few basic tests to determine if a battery replacement is needed.
- Electrical components dont work. Once a battery has started to fail, and the voltage produced by the battery drops, then vehicle electrical components can malfunction, such as the security system. If you are experiencing electrical malfunctions, its a smart idea to have the battery tested.
How Do Mechanics Replace The Battery
- A temporary power source might be installed to avoid the possibility of losing radio presets or stored data in the PCM while the battery is out. When the battery is already completely dead, this step is unnecessary.
- The vehicles negative cable is removed from the battery, followed by the positive cable. The battery tie down system is loosened and the old battery removed.
- Cable ends and wiring are carefully inspected to ensure cleanliness and no corrosion. In some cases, corrosion can be extreme and the cable may need to be replaced or wiring repaired.
- The new battery is installed and the tie down system is reinstalled. Anti-corrosion compound is applied to the battery terminals. The positive terminal is reconnected followed by the negative terminal.
- Some vehicles, for example some models of BMW, VW, and Audi, may require PCM programming to input battery parameters. This step, performed using a specialized scan tool, is necessary to maximize battery life and prevent electrical system malfunctions.
- The car is started and charging system output is measured and compared against the factory OEM specification to ensure that the new battery will properly recharge. Generally, charging output will be in the range of 13.8 to 14.8 volts but the exact specifications vary by make and model.
Shopping For Jeep Patriot Car Batteries
Your Patriot doesn’t have an expiration date, but its battery does. Generally, car batteries last from three to five years. You want to replace your 2016 Jeep Patriot battery before it fails and leaves you stranded. Look out for symptoms of a faulty car battery. A lagging starter, an illuminated check engine light or battery signal, bloated battery case, corroded battery terminals, or weak lights can all signal that your battery is waving goodbye.
Or, you can get a complimentary battery check at your nearest Firestone Complete Auto Care. Our equipment can see how much charge is left in your battery. Stop by for a free battery test and, if necessary, a battery replacement to help keep your 2016 Jeep Patriot running! Car batteries are only one of our many strong suits. Our technicians are familiar with Jeep-specific recommendations for Patriot battery CCAs and reserve capacity. Get help identifying the type and size of battery that matches your vehicle, and schedule an appointment today for a quick car battery replacement.
Read Also: Is Us Patriot Tactical Legit
Whats Involved In Maintaining Or Replacing A Battery
Batteries are not one size fits all. There are several things to consider:
- Size:Typically based on your vehicles make, model and engine type, it is literally the footprint of the battery, along with placement of the battery terminals. Every battery has a slightly different terminal placement. Take care to make sure the new battery you are putting into your car, truck or SUV is the same size as the one you are replacing. Its got to be apples to apples. In other words, dont try to fit a pineapple into the space reserved for a canteloupe.
- Age:Like a loaf of fresh-baked bread, batteries are best when fresh, within six months of manufacture. Most batteries, like the one in your current vehicle, will have a date code to tell you this information. When in doubt, call the battery maker to decipher the date code.
- Cold Cranking Amps: Can this battery start your frozen SUV at 0 degrees Fahrenheit in the dead of winter when the oil is as thick as molasses? The higher the Cold Cranking Amps rating, the better the batterys starting power. The rating refers to the number of amps a 12-volt battery can deliver at 0 degrees F for 30 seconds, while maintaining at least 7.2 volts.
- Reserve Capacity: In the case of an alternator failure, the Reserve Capacitywill give you an estimate of how long your cars battery will be able to run on battery power alone, without the help of the alternator.
Jeeppatriot Fl Fuse Relay Box Diagram Jeeppatriot Source: 2008 Jeeppatriot Wiring Has Gone Haywire Took Open The Power Distribution Center Box Near The Battery And Remove The Asdrelay That Should Shut It Down As For The Problem Itself It Could Be A Bad Relay A Bad Ignition Switch Or Some Odd Ball Thing That Needs Jeeppatriot Fl Fuse Relay Box Diagram Jeeppatriot Source: 2008 Jeeppatriot Wiring Has Gone Haywire Took Open The Power Distribution Center Box Near The Battery And Remove The Asdrelay That Should Shut It Down As For The Problem Itself It Could Be A Bad Relay A Bad Ignition Switch Or Some Odd Ball Thing That Needs 2010 Jeep Patriot 5: 08 Play Video Now Playing 2003 Ford T Bird Throttle Defaulting : 43 12 42 Liter Jeep Carburetor Circuit The Blue Trace Is The Asd Primary Or Control Side Of The Relay The White Trace Is The Secondary Side Of The Asd Relay The Purple Trace Is The Signal From The Logic Module To The Power Stage For The Module Mar 30 2022 The Asd Relay Is An Acronym For Automatic Shutdown Relay But Its Acronym Is Popularly Known It Is A Major Component Of The Fuel And Asdrelay Location Donnamcavoy3 Member 2010 Jeep Compass They Call It The Main Relay Now It Is In The Under
- Powerprobe 4 https://amzn.to/2GgMXplIn Canada Power Probe 4 https://amzn.to/2ROhiBjI should have actually mentioned this in the video but when you first turn…
- The relay below is your relay. Just substitute fuel pump with the word fan in the diagram. Jeep Enthusiast Forums. A forum community dedicated to all jeep owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about performance, engine swaps, modifications, classifieds…
- JeepPatriot 2013 Manual Online: Fuses. Integrated Power Module The Integrated Power Module is located in the engine compartment near the air cleaner assembly. This center contains cartridge fuses and mini-fuses. Cavity Cartridge Fuse 1 Empty 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 40 Amp…
- WVE® Ignition Switch 0. $13.26. Omix-ADA® Ignition Switch 0. $41.59. NTK® Ignition Knock Sensor 0. $11.52.
- The PCM operates the Automatic Shutdown relay and fuel pump relay through one ground path. The PCM operates them by switching the ground path for the solenoid side of the realys on and off. Both realys turn on and off at the same time. The ASD relay connects battery voltage to the fuel injectors and ignition coil.
Recommended Reading: How Often Does Joe Manchin Vote With Republicans
Find The Right Diehard Battery For Your Patriot
We know whatâs best for your Jeep Patriot, which is why we carry just that. You need a reliable, durable and powerful battery that can handle most extreme environments and weather conditions. DieHard batteries shatter expectations using the latest innovative technology to meet the expanding power demands of modern vehicles Don’t call a DieHard battery ordinary. It’s an extraordinary battery. Go with a DieHard battery for your Patriot and drive with confidence knowing that your battery will perform when you need it. Thatâs why you should choose batteries from Firestone Complete Auto Care.
Making Your Patriots New Battery Last
Have you recently had a fresh battery installed in your Jeep Patriot? Congrats! Now, help it last longer and stay charged by caring for it from the get-go. Help extend your car batteryâs life by limiting short trips, keeping the battery posts corrosion-free, and avoiding radio and electronic component use when the engine is off.
You May Like: Did Ivanka Trump Ever Pose Nude
What Are Car Batteries And How Do They Work
A car battery is an energy storage device that relies on a chemical reaction within the battery to produce electricity. The stored electrical energy is used to initially operate the starter motor, ignition system, and fuel system on your vehicle. Once your car engine is running, the alternator supplies the electricity needed for all vehicle systems and charges the battery to replace the electric energy used when starting a car.
Most electric vehicles have a traction battery which is in addition to the standard 12 volt battery that is used to start the car engine. Traction batteries also convert chemical energy to supply electrical energy but operate at higher voltages and often are monitored by the PCM .
Is It Safe To Drive With A Battery Problem
Yes, but if you have a weak battery you might be left stranded somewhere if the battery dies completely and you cannot start your car. A faulty battery may also needlessly overload the alternator and could adversely affect the operation of the vehicles electrical system, including the vehicle security system and the shift interlock.
Also Check: California Republican Party Voter Guide
How Does A Car Battery Work
The battery in your vehicle is there to provide a jolt of electrical energy to start the engine and to provide engine-off accessory power for a limited amount of time. Once the engine is running, the alternator takes over to power the accessories and charge the battery. Car batteries typically feature six connected cells in a lead-acid formulation, or up to 12 cells in a 24-volt system found in heavy trucks or other large vehicles.
Cell Phone Laptop And Portable Electronics Batteries
Shop our assortment of essential replacement lithium batteries designed for top phone, laptop and portable electronics brands like Apple, HTC, Samsung, Acer, Dell, and Lenovo.
Search by model number or brand name to find the right replacement battery. Check out our to learn more about how We Fix It, our in-store service, can help with a difficult-to-replace , , or battery.
Read Also: Jeep Patriot For Sale Carmax
What Is A Battery
The battery, in conjunction with the alternator, supplies the electrical power needed for the lights, stereo and all other electrical components of the car. The battery stores electrical power to start the engine, and helps electronic components function when the alternator cannot produce enough power.